Friday, August 22, 2014

Stay Up Late or Get Up Early? (1)

Does early to bed, early to rise really make you healthy, wealthy and wise?

Sarah and Rachel are roommates at their university.

I'm going to stay up late again tonight.
I have a big history paper due tomorrow.

I have one to finish, too, but I'm tired.
I think I'll go to bed now and get up early to finish it.

Well, whatever floats your boat.
I'd be exhausted if I got up as early as you do.

That's because you go to bed so late.

I like going to bed late.
I can concentrate better when there are fewer distractions.

I was about to say the same thing about getting up early.
Besides, it's easier for me to make time for things like exercise and planning then, before I get busy.

I've tried waking up early, but I just don't have the willpower.

If you can make a habit of getting up early, it's easy.
And speaking of willpower, I read that people have more willpower early in the day.
Making decisions tires you out, so you make better choices in the morning.

Maybe. But I also read an interesting study.
It said people who stay up late get a surge of energy later in the day.
Early risers don't.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Conventional Wisdom (傳統的智慧)
廣為大眾接受的觀念, 但並非一定正確的想法,
所以這個片語帶有負面的意思,
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
這句話就是典行的Conventional Wisdom
早睡早起真能讓你更健康、更富裕、更聰明?
根據研究顯示, 有錢的人跟smart的人大部份都是夜貓子


Grammar Gym
Making decisions tires you out, so you make better choices in the morning.
tires you out: tire [someone] out: to make someone feel weak and have no energy
- Amy doesn't like babysitting, and being with little children tires her out.
- Karen is not good with math, and doing her math homework tires her out.


Language Lab
whatever floats your boat 你開心就好
do what makes you happy
- If you want to buy another car, just buy it. Whatever floats your boat.
- You can go shopping or stay home. Whatever floats your boat.

concentrate v.
to think very carefully about something that you are doing
- The kids couldn't concentrate because of the noise from the construction site.
concentrate on
- Maggie will now concentrate on her career instead of her love life.

willpower n.
[uncountable] the ability to control your mind and body in order to achieve something that you want to do:
- Dave successfully quit smoking by using his strong willpower.
- I don't think I have the willpower to diet.

surge n.
if a feeling surges or surges up, you begin to feel it very strongly:
- Panic surged through her when Shannon heard her son was missing in action.
- Charles was overcome by a sudden surge of jealousy when he found out his best friend had been promoted.


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20140822baabfd006a79e9b4a214cae62f2cd5e30029c1dd7d2b6587591155c975b72f0cb7e.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment