Saturday, September 27, 2014

What's In A Lie? (2)

Telling my parents a different name doesn't seem like a white lie to me.
That just sounds like a lie.

Well, maybe Linda could accompany us.
Then we wouldn't be lying.
It's just a little adjustment of the truth.

That still sounds pretty dishonest.
If my parents found out that I betrayed their trust, I don't know what I would do.

How would they find out?
Besides, it's not a big deal.
It's just one movie.

But it would be a big deal to my parents.
They've always taught me that honesty is the best policy.

But people lie all the time about all sorts of things.
It's practically part of being human.

Perhaps, but I don't think I want to lie to my parents.
They would be really hurt and wouldn't trust me anymore.
And I probably wouldn't be allowed to date until I'm 30.

That sounds like a slight exaggeration!
And I'm sure your parents would still trust you.
You're a very responsible person.

And that's exactly why I can't go.
Sorry, Jack!
Maybe we can study in the library together instead.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic:Letter Dropping.消失的字母
有時候外國人不見得照著英文拼法發音,
telling 常常省略最後的g的音
library r省略 /ˈlaɪˌbreri/
probably 3個音節變2個

Grammar Gym
But people lie all the time about all sorts of things. It's practically part of being human.
part of being human
- The desire to be loved and accepted by other people is part of being human.
- Making mistakes and learning from them is part of being human.

Language Lab
accompany v.
to go somewhere with someone:
- My brother will accompany me to New York.
- Mandy, accompanied by her parents, flew to L.A. to seek help from a famous doctor.
company n.
when you are with other people and not alone:
- Grandma really enjoyed our company.

betray v.
to be disloyal to someone who trusts you so that they are harmed or upset:
- Richard got his position by betraying his old boss.
- Lisa was betrayed by her colleagues.
betrayal n.
when you betray your country, friends, or someone who trusts you
- Susan felt a deep sense of betrayal when her boyfriend left her for another girl.

no biggie n.
said when something is not important or when you are not upset or angry about something:
- Oh, I'm sorry.' 'No biggie.'

practically adv.
almost or nearly
- Even though Dave isn't formally the CEO yet, he practically makes all the decisions in the company.
- The auditorium was practically empty. No one seemed to be interested in the game.

exaggeration n. non count
to think of or describe something as larger or greater than it really is
- It's no exaggeration that taking care of a baby is extremely exhausting.
exaggerate v.
to think of or describe something as larger or greater than it really is
- You might think that I'm exaggerating, but I'm telling the truth.

mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20140927baa327d68e1a5eb13873206103ecf61716e1c31af57516cf2321f6235567384d346.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment