Friday, September 26, 2014

What's In A Lie? (1)

Is there such a thing as a “little” lie?
Jack and Sasha are chatting between classes at school.

Hey, Sasha.
I want to ask you something.

Sure, Jack.
What's on your mind?

Well, I was wondering... would you like to see a movie with me this weekend?

You mean... like a date?

Um, yeah.
I think you're really nice and pretty, well, would you go on a date with me?

That's very sweet, Jack, but I don't think so.

Why? Don't you like me?

You're a very thoughtful guy.
But my parents don't want me to date yet.

Really?
But we're in high school now.
That's when a lot of people start dating.

I know.
I wish I could go to the movies with you, but my parents want me to concentrate on my studies.
And I want to get into a good university.

I don't think one date is going to affect your studies.
Maybe you could tell your parents that you're going to the movies with your friend Linda.
Then they wouldn't know that you went with me.

I don't know. That seems so misleading.

It would just be a little white lie.
The only difference is the name of the person.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Hope and Wish (Hope和Wish的差別)
hope 實現機會大
wish 實現機會小; 假設和過去相反的事實
- I wish I had studied harder in school.
- I wish I had gone to bed earlier last night.

Grammar Gym
Well, I was wondering... would you like to see a movie with me this weekend?
I was wondering.
- I have a small problem, and I was wondering if you could help me.
- I was wondering if I could borrow your car for two hours.

Language Lab
on one's mind 有心事, 有煩惱
- It seems like Lydia has something on her mind. She didn't speak a word all day.
have someone on one's mind 想念某人
- You'll always be on my mind even though we have to be apart.

thoughtful adj.
always thinking of the things you can do to make people happy or comfortable
- You're so thoughtful to prepare hot coffee for the guests.
- It's very thoughtful of you to bring us lunch.

misleading adj.
likely to make someone believe something that is not true:
- These misleading news stories on the Internet have caused much confusion.
- There is some misleading information in this report.

white lie n.
a lie that you tell someone in order to protect them or avoid hurting their feelings
- Mother always tells us: "White lies are still lies."
- Husbands sometimes tell white lies to keep their wives happy.

mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20140926baa59c26e5131bde5b8c37b5c0443818428a135975176966cdc26898268302ceb33.wma


No comments:

Post a Comment