Thursday, September 25, 2014

[Advanced] Colin Firth on Stardom (2)

The perks and perils of acting
For Firth, who has starred in musicals (Mamma Mia!), romantic romps (Bridget Jones's Diary) and shadowy capers (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), it comes down to what feels right in the moment. Sometimes, he's up for a lark. Other times, he craves something more serious.

"I find the criteria change every time. This one, heavily weighing in the scales was the importance of the story and why the hell wasn't it told," says Firth. And for Irvine, a World War II buff, it came down to the importance of telling this particular story. "It's also a movie about the very best in people."

In the spotlight
Firth, dapper and debonair as he is, is someone who lives his life behind closed doors, by choice. He's married to Italian environmental activist Livia Giuggioli, and has three sons.

"It's not my life plan to be private but I've never intended otherwise. I've never had an instinct to do it any other way. When I was Jeremy's age, I never imagined my work would put me in front of a camera. I liked doing plays. I didn't bargain for any level of recognition, really," says Firth.

For Irvine, it's still a learning process when he's recognized. "When someone catches you off-guard, when you're out shopping, I often think I'm more nervous than them," he says.

On dealing with inappropriate questions: Firth says his mantra is, deflect with grace whenever possible. "People will want to see if they can create copy by getting a rise out of you. It's pretty rare. Hands up. I'm not that affable. I'm here and I'm on my best behavior because I'm doing an interview," says Firth. "This is my best behavior and I also have my worst. I just try not to take it out into public life."

mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20140925ada8ee8fb29f4fb058597530a8f31e66288d5fd3532ead201a542f5f74168644862.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment