Thursday, May 23, 2013

To Post or Not to Post (1)

How much do you share online?

Julie and Susan are eating lunch together at a cafe. Susan takes out her phone and starts taking pictures of her food.

Julie: Wow, you sure are taking a lot of pictures. You must really like the presentation of the food.

Susan: I do! The heart-shaped sandwich is really cute. I want to update my status so my friends can see it, too. Do you want me to take pictures of your food for you?

Julie: No, that’s OK. I don’t usually post stuff like that online. If people really want to know what I have for lunch, they can ask me.

Susan: But posting your meals is a great way to start conversations with your friends. And it helps you find new places to eat as well.

Julie: Maybe. But to me, that sort of information isn't worth my while. It’s a waste of time for me to post about it. Not to mention that it wastes my friends’ time when they scroll through their updates.

Susan: It’s not a big deal. If people don’t want to see my posts, they can just skip it. What sort of things do you like to share online?

Julie: Well, I don’t post many updates. I like to check what my friends are doing. But me – I usually just post about major events or things that catch my interest.

Info Cloud
Hey, Steve, let me ask you this. What do you think of when you hear the word “bug”?

I think of insects.

OK. That’s one meaning. Another meaning of bug is a person who has an interest or enthusiasm for something.

Ah, yes. When tacked on at the end of certain words, a fun, new descriptive word is created.

OK. Let’s tack “bug” on to the end of the word “shutter,” which is that mechanism that lets light into a camera.

Perfect example. The new word is “shutterbug.” And it describes an amateur photographer who has a lot of enthusiasm for taking pictures, just like Susan in today’s lesson.

OK. We all know what “litter” is, right? It’s the trash and garbage that you see on the streets or in parks. Add the word “bug” to “litter,” and you get “litterbug,” which is a person who wouldn't think twice about throwing trash in public places.

OK, one more. What happens when we place “bug” at the end of the word “cuddle,” which means to hold close in an affectionate way for comfort or warmth.

We get cuddle-bug. We sometimes use “ cuddle-bug” to describe an infant who delights in being hugged and held by mom and dad.

And if your pet dog or cats display this kind of behavior, you can call them cuddle-bugs, too.

bug n.
1 a usually small insect 蟲
2 the bug a sudden, strong interest in a particular activity 對什麼狂熱的人
shutterbug 熱愛照相的人
litterbug 愛丢纸屑的人
cuddle-bug 喜歡被擁抱的人, 大多对小孩或小猫,小狗

Review Skit
Wow, this restaurant is really nice.
Yes, it is.
Let me take some pictures.
OK. I’m smiling.
Well, I don’t want a picture of you.
I want a picture of the pizza.
What for?
I want to update my status online, and I want all my friends to see it.
Why?
Well, so they’ll know about the pizza here. And maybe they’ll want to start a conversation.
I don’t post things like that.
Why not?
It’s a waste of my time and my friends’ time.
Who wants to scroll through all those updates?
My friends do. And if they don’t, it’s not a big deal. They can just skip it.
That sort of information isn't worth my while.
So what kinds of things do you post online?
Actually, I don’t post many updates. I only post major events.
Only major events?
Sometimes I post things that catch my interest.
Oh. OK.
Of course, I do check to see what my friends are doing.
Well, that’s good. So what are your friends doing now?
Hmm. Well, Jim is eating spaghetti. And Betty is eating a sandwich. And Mike is having noodles.
How fun!
And we are eating pizza.
Yeah!

Language Lab
presentation n. [noncount] 顯示, 呈現; 表現; 描述 [present v.展現]
the way in which something is arranged, designed, etc. : the way in which something is presented
- The presentation of a dish determines how the customers perceive it.
菜餚的擺盤決定客人如何看這道菜
presentation n. 介紹,報告
- Jonathan prepared a lot of charts for his presentation.
Jonathan 為了他的報告準備了很多個圖表

status n. 狀態 (本文指個人在社群中的狀態)
Patrick constantly checks the status of his friends on Facebook.
Patrick 不斷的Facebook 檢示朋友們的狀態
status n. 狀況
- The financial status of the company is getting worse.
這家公司的財務狀況越來越糟

worth one's while 值得自己花時間的 [worth值得/while 一段時間]
- I like shopping on-line. I think shopping at department stores isn't worth my while.
- Come with me to the gym! I promise I'll make it worth your while.
值回票價

scroll v. (在電腦螢幕上) 滾動, 滑動
- I scroll down and found the file.
- Sam scrolled down to the end of the document.
scroll n.卷軸
- The archaeologists found some scrolls with an ancient language when they were working at that site.


mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130524_175b7.wmv
mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20130524baaed98947a687d15b58cef887ef4ffe8b6.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment