Monday, May 6, 2013

Cash, Check or Credit Card? (2)

I always carried a credit card, my ATM card and cash wherever I went. The reason for this was safety. My credit card had a high limit which was great for emergency use. Using the ATM card was safer than carrying a lump of cash in my wallet. A small amount of cash was perfect for food and souvenirs. I never had trouble with thieves, but two of my friends weren't so lucky. In Nice, France, my friend Chiyo had her backpack stolen while we were eating lunch at McDonald's. Someone walked right by and snatched it - we didn't notice until we got up to leave.

In Rome, another friend's wallet was stolen from her backpack. The next day, she caught a pickpocket reaching into her bag and stopped him, But of course there was nothing left for him to steal. I learned from their experiences and now try to be especially cautious when I'm in unfamiliar places. Careful planning and wise decisions help me worry less about keeping my money safe and more about having fun!

Info Cloud
When in Rome (do as the Romans do) 入境隨俗, 融入當地文化的意思
a phrase meaning that when you are in a different place you should behave like the people who live there 
口語只要說 When in Rome... 意思就很清楚了
- I didn't eat any Western food while I was in Japan. When in Rome, you know.
我在日本的時候, 都沒有吃西餐, 你知道的, 入境隨俗呀!

Rome wasn't built in a day
a phrase meaning that it takes time to achieve something important, and you should not expect to succeed immediately

Language Lab
lump n. 團, 塊; 一大堆; 大量
/ˈlʌmp/
a small piece of something solid, without a particular shape
- Mom stirred the sauce constantly to make sure there weren't any lumps.
媽媽不停的攪拌醬汁以確保裡面沒有結塊
- A local artist turned the lump of wood into a beautiful sculpture.
一位本地的藝術家把這塊木頭雕刻成美麗的雕像

snatch v. grab 搶奪
/ˈsnæ/
to take something away from someone with a quick, often violent, movement
- The little girl's baby doll was snatched out of her arms by her naughty brother.
這個小女孩懷裡的娃娃被她淘氣的哥哥搶走了
抓住機會做某件事 to take (something) quickly or eagerly
- I snatched a few hours to do some chores around the house.
我抓住幾個小時的空檔做一些家事
in snatch n. 一陣子, 一小段
for short periods of time
- I slept in snatches throughout the night because I was worried about the storm.
因為擔心整個暴風雨, 整個晚上我都睡的片片段段的

pickpocket n. 拿別人口袋東西裡的人= 扒手 [pick 拿/ pocket 口袋]
a thief who steals money and other things from people's pockets and purses
- The pickpocket was caught in the act by a police officer.
這名扒手在行竊的時候當場被警察逮到
- Brenda's wallet was stolen by a pickpocket in the plaza.
Brenda 的皮包在廣場時被扒手偷走了

cautious adj.十分小心的, 謹慎的
/ˈkɑ:ʃəs/
careful about avoiding danger or risk  
- Be cautious while operating this machine.
操作這台機器的時候要小心
- Henry is very cautious about investments.
Henry 對投資非常小心謹慎
caution n. 小心, 謹慎
/ˈkɑ:ʃən/ 
the quality of being very careful to avoid danger or risks- The ambassador responded to the question with caution.
大使很謹慎的回答這個問題

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130507_392bc.wmv


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20130507baad54a3b1292dbe4df77243613cc7f173c.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment