Saturday, June 7, 2014

Holidays

Sharing cultures is fun

Thanks to my host family, I had the opportunity to experience American culture during my stay. Two of my most remarkable experiences were Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanksgiving, a traditional American festival, means the family gets together and has a feast. I tried a lot of food that I'd never had before such as mashed potatoes, turkey and zucchini. Everything was very tasty. Then it was Christmas. We had an enormous dinner on Christmas Eve. Then we sat in front of the fireplace, and my host father told me the story of Jesus' birth. After that we gave each other presents and chatted. It was great!

Besides experiencing their cultural events, I shared some of mine with them. First I introduced Mid-Autumn Festival to them. I made pineapple cakes and served tea. We watched the moon, too! At Chinese New Year, I prepared a traditional meal for them. One dish was dumplings. After I taught them how to wrap them, we did it together!

I am glad I got to experience that culture and share some of my own.


Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: When Exactly is Christmas Eve?
Christmas Eve: night before Christmas 平安夜 聖誔節前一日或前一晚
New Year's Eve


Grammar Gym
Thanks to my host family, I had the opportunity to experience American culture during my stay.
thanks to: because of 
- Thanks to the sudden rain, we were forced to end our picnic early.
- The airport was closed thanks to the heavy snowstorm.


Language Lab
remarkable adj. 特殊的, 非凡的, 引人注目的
unusual or surprising and therefore deserving attention or praise:
- The research team's finding is a remarkable achievement.
- The boy's remarkable singing talent made him famous.

chat v.n. 閒聊, 聊天chatted/chatting
to talk in a friendly informal way, especially about things that are not important:
- Emily is chatting on the phone with her best friend.
- Cindy chatted with her mom about the latest film.
- I had a chat with my neighbor this morning.

cultural adj. 文化的, 與文化有關的
belonging or relating to a particular society and its way of life:
- When Tom first moved to Asia, he had serious cultural shock.
- The team is formed by people from different cultural backgrounds.

culture n. 文化
- The ideas of Confucius play an important part in Chinese culture.
- Teenagers are greatly influenced by pop culture.


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20140607baaf212766329a2c38919c33d79d043ba3a18279516fe0e9fe717b0047ac80ff281.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment