Friday, August 16, 2013

Tips for Souvenir Shopping (1)

Avoid collecting vacation junk with these helpful tips

One of the fun parts of traveling is shopping for souvenirs. But I go to a lot of different places, and how many T-shirts, mugs and keychains from everywhere do I want? Plus, those things aren't usually cool or unique to me. With a bit of effort, I can find something better that will really awe my friends back home.

Here's what I do:
Pick and choose. Think: Do I really want this? I don't need a ton of things to help me remember my vacation.
I buy myself two or three small things that I really like. They won't weigh me down on my trip, and they won't clutter up my room when I get home.

Use it. I get so many compliments on clothes and jewelry I bring back from trips. I love saying, "Oh, I bought this at a little market in Thailand!" For you it might be wall art, bags or maybe music. Buy things you'll use; don't spend money on something that will just collect dust!


Info Cloud
As we ponder souvenir shopping, we need to beware of tourist traps.

As the name suggests, the tourist trap is not a place you want to visit.  While it's a place that is designed to attract tourists and help them spend their money, the products and souvenirs sold at tourist traps are generally more expensive than those sold at other places.

That's why it's considered a trap for tourists.  You might end up spending more money on things then you need to.  You could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

So, how do you avoid tourist traps? Here is a tip - talk to the locals and go where they go. This may involve some extra walking, but the idea is to get away from the touristy places.

Right. Touristy places are ones that are designed to attract tourists, especially in an inauthentic way.

Now, I usually avoid touristy places when I visit a city. Instead, I like to discover the real deal. You know, the places that only the locals go to.

Yup, I am with you there.

Grammar Gym
They won't weigh me down on my trip ....
To weigh [someone] down:
to feel the trouble of carrying or dealing with something
- Janet is carrying a lot of shopping bags and they are weighing her down.
- The stress from having three jobs and going to school every night is weighing Scott down.

Language Lab
souvenir n.
an object that you buy or keep to remind yourself of a special occasion or a place you have visited [= memento]
- Many shops near the Eiffel Tower sell all kinds of souvenirs.
- Sandra kept a handmade bookmark as a souvenir of her summer vacation.

awe v.
/ˈɑ:/
if you are awed by someone or something, you feel great respect and liking for them, and are often slightly afraid of them
- Everyone present was awed by the courage of the firefighters.
- The little kids were awed by the lions in the zoo.
awe n.
a strong feeling of fear or respect and also wonder
- You can't help but stand in awe of this rock legend.

clutter v.
to cover or fill a space or room with too many things, so that it looks very untidy:
- Tommy's desk was cluttered with newspapers and soft drink cans.
clutter n.
a large number of things that are scattered somewhere in an untidy way [= junk]
- Nancy is organized, so her home is tidy and free of clutter.

compliment n.
an action that expresses admiration or approval
- About what you said before, I take it as a compliment.
- Mark loves to pay his wife many compliments, which made her very happy.


mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130816_47f5e.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment