Friday, April 12, 2013

How Do You Choose a Career? (2)

Helen: You should think about this more seriously. What if you go to medical school and discover that you don't like studying medicine?

Robert: I'll just deal with it and be a doctor anyway. My parents have really high expectations for me, so I don't want to let them down.

Helen: Would you really want to work at a job you don't enjoy? A career test can help you determine what you like and are good at.

Robert: Hmm....Well maybe that is a good idea. Then maybe I could make a list of potential career options and talk to my parents about them.

Helen: You should also consider what kind of work environment you like and how much money you want to make. You also need to think about how easy it would be to take time off and how much education you need.

Robert: That's a lot to think about. Well, I'm pretty good at math, and I really love to sketch pictures of buildings. That sounds more interesting to me than being human bodies. I just don't want to upset my parents.

Helen: I know, but it sounds like you're interested in architecture. My dad knows some architects. He could introduce you to some so you could find out more about that field. Then you could make an informed decision.

Robert: I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to them.

Helen: Well, think about it, and let me know.

Grammar Gym
to deal with it: handling a situation
"I'll just deal with it and be a doctor anyway."
- People have to deal with morning traffic.
- Passenger has to deal with long lines.

Info Cloud
helicopter parents 直升機父母
a parent who is overly involved in the life of his or her child
指過度保護子女的父母,像直升機 hover (盤旋),盯著子女。

Language Lab
let someone down 讓某人失望
having a bad opinion of someone or something
- Annie felt that she had let everyone down because she got divorced.
Annie因為離婚了,覺得自己辜負了每個人的期待。
- David worked hard to make sure that he wouldn't let his boss down.
David認真工作,為了確定不會讓老闆失望。

potential adj.可能的、潛在的
capable of becoming real
- Rita sees everyone around her as a potential client.
Rita視她的身邊的每一個人都是她的潛力顧客
n.潛力
an ability that someone has that can be developed to help that person become successful
- Ricky has the potential to become a great actor.
Ricky有成為優秀演員之潛力

sketch v.速寫、素描
 to make a quick, rough drawing of (something)
- The painter is sketching a beautiful cathedral.
這位畫家正在速寫這座美麗的教堂
n.
a quick, rough drawing that shows the main features of an object or scene
- A sketch of a ballerina by this artist is now on display.
這位畫家所畫的芭蕾舞者的素描,正在展示中。

informed adj.有見識的;了解情況的、消息靈通的
having information; based on information
inform v.通知
- This lecture will help you make an informed choice about investments.
這場演講將會幫助你在投資上做明確的選擇
- Only a few informed people know the company's financial situation.
只有少數了解狀況的人知道公司的財務狀況


mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130413_debee.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment