Thursday, April 11, 2013

How Do You Choose a Career? (1)

There are many considerations when deciding on a career

Robert sees Helen sitting at a computer in the library and strikes up a conversation.

Robert: Hi, Helen.What are you working on?

Helen: I'm taking a quiz to help me decide the kind of career I should have.

Robert: A career quiz? You need to take a test to choose your career?

Helen: Well, you don't have to take a test.

Robert: Whew! I got a little anxious there thinking that I needed to study for another test.

Helen: No. The issue is that I have no idea what career I should pursue. I can see myself doing so many things. I need help figuring out what is best for me based on my interests and personality.

Robert: Good luck. But I don't need to worry since I already know what I'm going to do.

Helen: Really? But we're only juniors in high school! How can you be so sure about your future career?

Robert: Simple - my parents want me to be a doctor, so I'm going to go to medical school.

Helen: That's a lot of time and money. You might want to talk to a career counselor before you make suck a big decision.

Robert: No. I trust my parents' judgment - especially when it's something as important as deciding my future.


Info Cloud
What year are you in? What grade are you in?

你現在讀幾年級, 英文該怎麼問,
grade 年級 What grade are you in? 這句通常只用在小學生
因為grade 會讓人連想到小學 grade shchool 小學

讀到中學, 大學, 就會用year 來問,
What year are you in? 你是幾年級的?

在美國高中是四年制:
freshman year 第一年
sophomore year 第二年
junior year 第三年
senior year 第四年

課文中提到: But we're only juniors in high school!
可是我們才高二耶!
高二可以用 junior 也可以用11th grader 十一年級生


Language Lab
strike up 開始交談, 開始交往, 開始演奏
strikes; struck ; struck
 to begin to play (a piece of music);   to cause (an orchestra, a band, etc.) to begin playing
to begin (something)
- The backpackers struck up a conversation on the train.
這群背包客在火車上開始談話
- These boys struck up a friendship after joining the same team.
這些男孩加入了同一隊之後開始了之間的友誼

issue n.問題
- The accuracy of the data is not an issue.
這些資料的正確性是沒有問題的
- There are issues about our marketing strategies.
我們的行銷策略有問題
issue n. 議題
- Tax reduction is one of the major issues of this election campaign.
  減稅是這次選舉討論的議題之一

base (something) on/upon (something) 
to form, make, or develop (something, such as an opinion, decision, or calculation) by using (something, such as information) as a basis, starting point, etc.

counselor n. 顧問, 輔導老師
a person who provides advice as a job : a person who counsels people ;
someone whose job is to help and support people with problems
career counselor 職務選擇輔導
guidance counselor
= lawyer 律師 = lawyer, attorney, solicitor, barrister, counsel
- This talented young counselor has never lost a case.
這位有才華又年輕的律師打官司從來沒有輸過

judgment n.判斷, 判斷力 [judge評斷, 評判]
an opinion or decision that is based on careful thought;
the ability to make good decisions about what should be done
- The mistake in the news report was caused by the anchor's poor judgement.
這個新聞報導的錯誤是因為主播的判斷力不足引起的

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130412_66c35.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment