Friday, December 6, 2013

To Tell or Not to Tell (2)

Should you keep cheating a secret or tell a teacher?

But this is Mr. Brown.
Everyone knows what a strict teacher he is.
He might call the student's parents or even have him suspended!

Mr. Brown can't suspend the student yet.
He'd need more evidence than just my word.
He'll probably just give him a warning and keep an eye on him.

And what if our classmates find out you told on him?
Everyone in the class will call you a tattletale.
I don't care. I'm doing the right thing.
But I'll ask Mr. Brown not to mention my name.

I still don't see why this is such a big deal to you.
It's pretty naive to think only one person cheated on the test.
The fact is that lots of studnets cheat.

But that doesn't make it right.
And I didn't see them all.

I just saw one, and I feel I should take some action.
Furthermore, I don't think school is just about getting good grades.
It's about learning things we'll use later in life.
And, moer importantly, doing it in an honest way.

Maybe. But if I were you, I still wouldn't tell.
I really need to get going. See you tomorrow.

Bye, Angela.


Grammar Gym
word
a letter or a group of letters that are put together and mean something
a comment or statement from someont

- He'd need more evidence than just my word.
- He'd need more evidence than just my statement.
- What Henry said sounded very strange; it's hard to believe his word.
- The manager had trouble settling the dispute; there were no witnesses and it was simply one employee's word against another.


Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Teacher’s Pet

Hi friends, so what do you think of Nick in our lesson today?
Do you think telling the teacher about the cheater is the right thing to do?

There's always a Nick in every classroom, and we've all known him growing up.
He may not be the most popular kid, more likely he's the teacher's pet.

A teacher's pet is someone greatly favored by a teacher.
He or she is usually nicely dressed, asks a lot of questions in class, always comes prepared with homework done, helps the teacher out with classroom chores, always says hello and goodbye to the teacher, and sometimes brings a gift to the teacher.

Wow, Ken, it sounds like you really know how to become a teacher's pet. Were you a teacher's pet?

Who me? Uh.. no, of course not.
I just read a book about a teacher's pet.

Well, one thing you left out is that a teacher's pet is also a tattletale, which is someone who tattles or tells on somebody.

So, in the lesson, Nick is planning on tattling or telling on the cheater to the teacher.

Not the most popular thing to do in school.


Language Lab
suspend v.
leave a job/school
to make someone leave their school or job for a short time, especially because they have broken the rules
- Jodie got suspended because she kept skipping school.
- The football player was suspended because he attached the referee.
referee
someone who makes sure that the rules of a sport such as football,basketball, or boxing, are followed

tattletale n.
a word meaning someone who tattles - used by or to children
tattle v.
if a child tattles, they tell a parent or teacher that another child has done something bad
- Laura was called a tattletale because she told the teacher who was dating in the school.
- Kids at school don't want to play with Nicole becasue they think she's a tattletale.

naive adj.
not having much experience of how complicated life is, so that you trust people too much and believe that good things will always happen
- Annie was so naive that she signed the contract without even consulting a lawyer.
- I must have been naive to think that everyone would be happy about my promotion.

furthermore adv.
in addition to what has already been said:
further
more, or to a greater degree
- Professor Williams is a respected professor in our school. Furthermore, he is loved by his students for his wit.

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20131207_4a6bd.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment