Friday, December 20, 2013

Planning for the Future

Plan for all the possibilities

Ben: Hey, Uncle Bob. How are you today?

Uncle Bob: I'm doing well, Ben. Actually, I have some big news to share with you.

Ben: What is it?

Uncle Bob: Well, your Aunt June and I are moving to Hawaii.

Ben: Hawaii? Why Hawaii?

Uncle Bob: We've always loved Hawaii, and now that we're retire, there's nothing to stop us from spending more time there. We've been contemplating a change of scenery for some time.

Ben: Wow, That is big news. Are you planning to keep your place here?

Uncle Bob: Sure. We've purchased a condo in Hawaii, but we're only planning to live there during the winter.

-----
Ben: That's great, Uncle Bob. I can see Hawaii is beckoning, but I don't know what I'll do if you aren't around.

Uncle Bob: Thanks, Ben, but I doubt you'll need me that badly.

Ben: Seriously, Uncle Bob, I'm pretty sure my business will go under without your advice.

Uncle Bob: That's a bit premature. You've built that business with a lot of time and hard work.

Ben: I have put a lot of work into it, but there are still so many things I'm unsure of.

Uncle Bob: Like what?

Ben: Well, I still have lots of questions, and I'm really not sure which direction the company is headed.

-----
Uncle Bob: What? I've read your business plan, and it was very clear.

Ben: Right. It was clear, but you'd be stunned by how much my industry has changed in the last year.

Uncle Bob: That's just the way business is, Ben.

Ben: I know, but what can I do about it?

Uncle Bob: Well, Ben, you need to take some initiative. You need to refocus on your business plan.

Ben: Refocus?

Uncle Bob: Sure. When we first talked about business plans, I told you that they need to evolve over time.

Ben: I get that. That's why I've worked hard to stay abreast of changes that are happening in the industry.

Uncle Bob: I know you have. But sometimes being aware of changes isn't enough. Sometimes you need to get ahead of the changes in order to stay relevant.

Ben: How do I do that?

Uncle Bob: I think the main thing is to look at prospective changes in your industry and to consider how you might deal with them.

Ben: You mean I should plan for things that might happen and not just react to things that have happened.

Uncle Bob: Exactly, Ben. You see, you don't need me at all.

Ben: I'll always need you, Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob: Then you'll have to come and visit Hawaii.

Ben: Now that's good advice!


Info Cloud
news [noncount] 不可數名詞, 要和單數動詞連用
Is there any news? No, there is not much news.
(注意要用much 而不是用many)
今天課文裡說到 I have some big news to share with you.
some 可接可數或不可數名詞來修飾
課文裡回答 Wow. That is big news.
(注意不要說 a big news, 因為不定冠詞 a 只能用於可數名詞)
要數一則一則的新聞可以用 item, report, story 來說明哪則報導
Did you see the news report about the train crash?

Language Lab
contemplate v.
/ˈkɑ:ntəmˌpleɪt/
to think deeply or carefully about (something)
- For a long time, Timothy has been contemplating a career change.
- Nathan contemplated moving to the suburbs but gave up the idea because of the long commute.

condo n. condominium
              /ˌkɑ:ndəˈmɪnijəm/
a room or set of rooms that is owned by the people who live there and that is part of a larger building containing other similar sets of rooms — compare apartment
- Jacob and his wife and kids live in a condo near the beach.
condo / apartment
apartment
a usually rented room or set of rooms that is part of a building and is used as a place to live

beckon v.
/ˈbɛkən/
to attract (someone or something)
- The beautiful dress in the window is beckoning me.
- The long, sandy beach is beckoning swimmers and sunbathers.

premature adj. [pre 字首-之前/ mature成熟]
happening too soon or earlier than usual
- The premature baby stayed in the incubator for a week.
- It's still too premature to predict who's going to win the election.

No comments:

Post a Comment