Monday, June 24, 2013

The Ups and Downs of Diets (1)

What should you do when you want to lose weight?
Ellie and Daniele meet at a coffee shop, place their orders and take a seat.

Daniele: Ellie, why are you just having coffee? I thought we were meeting for coffee and dessert.

Ellie: I'm not eating dessert these days. I'm going to Florida on vacation, and I need to lose about 15 pounds. Otherwise I won't be able to fit into any of my summer clothes.

Daniele: When do you leave?

Ellie: In less than a month. In order to lose one pound of fat, you have to eat 3,500 fewer calories a week than you usually eat. So I'm on a diet.

Daniele: What diet are you on?

Ellie: I'm skipping at least one meal a day, and I'm not eating any snacks.

Daniele: That is not a good idea. And it won't help you lose weight.

Ellie: Why not? I'm consuming fewer calories.

Daniele: True. And you may think you're losing weight, but you're not. You're just losing water.

Ellie: Who cares? I'll still weigh less and be able to fit into my clothes!

Daniele: Yes, but as soon as you start to eat normally, the weight will come right back. Your body will replenish the water, and you'll be right back where you started.

Info Cloud
In our Viewpoints lesson this month, we meet Ellie, who is determined to lose 15 pounds fast.

And it seems she’ll do anything to reach her goal, even if it means doing something unhealthy.

Yes, because she’s more concerned with the final result than she is with the method used to achieve that result.

We could say: For her, the end justifies the means.

Meaning the correctness of an action is based on the outcome of the action, not the action itself.

It doesn’t matter if the action is illegal, unfair, cruel, immoral, evil, or in Ellie’s case, unhealthy.

If it gets the desired result, then it’s considered OK.

OK. Cheating on a test or being dishonest on a college application is a good example. Some students feel the wrongness in doing these things is excusable because the outcome for them is good.

More complicated examples emerge during times of war. One well-known example from history asks:
Is bombing two cities and killing 250,000 people justifiable if that action ends a war, and, thereby, saves the lives of one million others?

Well, it’s certainly a beneficial end, but a cruel means. Friends, what do you think?

the end justifies the means prov. 為了目的,不擇手段
[end 目的/  means 手段/ justify 使他合理化 ]

Language Lab
place an order 下訂單、訂貨 [order 訂購, 訂單]
to submit an order
- I just placed an online order for a pair of boots.
我剛剛才在網路上下訂單,買了一雙靴子
- We placed the order to buy this sofa a month ago, but we still haven't received it.
我們一個月前訂了一套沙發,但是到現在還沒收到

otherwise adv.否則
used when saying what bad thing will happen if something is not done
- You'd better get up early, otherwise you'll be late for school.
你最好早起,否則上學會遲到
otherwise adv. 不同地、相反地
to say, think, or decide something different
- Becky trusted in her husband's loyalty 100%. She had actually never thought otherwise.
Becky原來是百分之百相信先生的忠誠,事實上,她從來沒有懷疑過

normally adv.正常地、通常地、一般地
normal adj.正常的
usual or ordinary : not strange
- Charlie normally reached home by 7 p.m.
Charlie通常七點前會到家
- Normally it takes an hour to reach the airport form downtown.
正常而言,從市中心到機場要一個小時
- A person's normal blood pressure is between 120 and 90.
一個人正常的血壓是介於120和90之間

replenish v.補充、重新裝滿 [re字首- 再一次]
/rɪˈplɛnɪʃ/
to fill or build up (something) again
- The waiter kept replenishing our glasses with water.
服務生一直來為我們的杯子加水
- We replenished our food stock when we went to the supermarket.
我們去超市時,補充了我們的食物庫存

Review Skit 
I’m home, and I’m starving. What’s for dinner?
We’re having cabbage soup tonight.
But we had cabbage soup last night and the night before.
Well, that’s because I’m on a diet. I can lose 10 pounds if I eat cabbage soup for a week.
This is a fad diet. It probably won’t work.
Yes, it will. It’s guaranteed.
Besides, it’s unhealthy.
Well, if it works, I don’t care.
It’s nice you’re trying to lose weight. But isn't there another way?
Well, I could skip meals, but I’d be ravenous all day.
You could eat meals but smaller ones.
No. I won’t lose weight fast enough… unless I use diet pills.
No. Diet pills aren't good for you.
I don’t intend to take them forever, just until I lose 10 pounds.
Why is losing weight so important?
We’re going to the beach this summer, remember? I want to look good in my swimsuit.
I have an idea. Let’s go to the mountains this summer.
Good idea. Then I won’t have to lose weight.
And I won’t have to eat cabbage soup.

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130624_3936d.wmv

mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20130624baaa736a2ffd75ebe7a1e6940465554d351613cef07bc76b369c545b8adc3dc1d29.wma



No comments:

Post a Comment