Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Ups and Downs of Diets (2)

Ellie: But not right away. Skipping meals will help me accomplish my goal. If I'm not eating. I'm not gaining!

Daniele: I appreciate the fact that you want to lose weight quickly. But isn't there a better diet you can try?

Ellie: Lost of them. One guaranteed that if I would just eat cabbage soup for a week, I'd lose around 10 pounds. But I don't like cabbage.

Daniele: Good thing. That's a bad diet, and it's really unhealthy.

Ellie: Well, if it works, I don't care. I need a short term fad. But as I said, I don't like cabbage.

Daniele: Don't you get hungry skipping meals?

Ellie: Yes. I'm ravenous right now. I didn't have breakfast.

Daniele: Why don't you still eat meals but just eat smaller ones?

Ellie: I'd lose weight too slowly that way. I don't have a lot of time to reduice my hunger, I'm going to take diet pills.

Daniele: Those aren't good for you in the long term.

Ellie: I don't intend to take them forever! I just need something to help me for a few weeks.

Daniele: OK, whatever. But when you do eat, be sure to eat food that's good for you!

Info Cloud
In one academic survey, “Whatever!” was voted the most annoying expression in conversation two years in a row.

It’s no wonder. “Whatever” is impolite and way overused.

“Whatever” is rude because it often communicates a feeling of apathy. It basically says: I don’t care what you say.

So obviously, this isn't something you’d ever want to say to your teachers, parents or your boss.

Right. When talking to her friend, however, Danielle gets away with saying it because she uses “whatever” in a related but slightly less offensive manner.

Right. She senses her discussion with Ellie is going around in circles, so she’s frustrated. She feels she’s wasting her time and energy talking with Ellie about the dangers of dieting.

So she says, “OK, whatever,” which, in this situation, means you’re not really listening to what I’m saying, so I’m going to end the discussion.

OK. Our last usage of “whatever” is more cowardly than impolite. Let’s say you’re arguing with someone, and it’s becoming clear that you’re losing the argument.

Saying “Whatever!” is an effective way of ending the argument and acknowledging defeat without actually having to say I’m wrong.

whatever 隨便、無所謂、不在乎 (不太有禮貌的用詞:最好不要用)
- What do you want to eat?
   Whatever. [= I don't care.]

Grammar Gym
Hello, friends. Welcome to the Grammar Gym. My name is Liz. And in today’s article we see this sentence: Those aren’t good for you in the long term.

Our focus is on the phrase “long term.” Sometimes you’ll see it written with a hyphen between “long” and “term,” long-term. So, what is the difference?

In today’s sentence, “long term” is a noun phrase meaning a long period of time. When “long term” is used as a noun phrase, there is no need for a hyphen, and you will usually see “the” appear in front of it.

For example: Unlike his past business trips that last for a few days, Mr. Lee’s current assignment is a move for the long term.
Or: The farmer stored a lot of grain and is prepared for the long term.
But if “long-term” appears before a noun, it’s an adjective phrase, and a hyphen is needed.
For example:
The long-term effects of this drug are unknown.
Or: Tracy values her business relationships – especially the long-term ones.

If you have a copy of this month’s magazine with you, be sure to check out today’s Grammar Tip section for more examples. This is Liz from the Grammar Gym. See you next time.

long term : long-term : a long period of time

Language Lab
guarantee v. n.保證、擔保
- The company guarantees a full refund if their customers are not satisfied with their products.
這家公司保證,如果顧客不滿意他們的產品,就可以完全退費
- There's no guarantee that this policy will work.
沒有人能保證這個政策可以成功

fad n.一時的流行一時的風尚
/ˈfæd/
something that people like or do for a short time, or that is fashionable for a short time
- Mandy's zeal for tennis proved to be just a passing fad.
Mandy對網球的熱衷,證明只是一時的狂熱
- Miniskirt's were a fad back in the 60s.
迷你裙在六O年代時風行一時

ravenous adj.飢腸轆轆的
/ˈrævənəs/
very hungry  
ravenously adv.飢餓地
- The boys were ravenous after the soccer game.
這群男孩在足球賽結束後,都餓壞了
- Theo is in his teens and has a ravenous appetite.
 Theo在少年時,胃口好得不得了
- Lawrence looked ravenously hungry when he was eating.
Lawrence吃飯時,看起來餓得不得了

intend v.打算、計畫
to plan or want to do (something)
- Ray intended to buy a new car, but he bought a second hand one instead.
Ray本來要買一部新車,後來卻買了一部二手車
- Pamela is intending to go back to college this fall. Pamela計畫今年秋天要回大學讀書

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130625_d78ea.wmv

mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20130625baa96233fed9510c9606c723e5f525c8060e13feeefd71b9a167e6ed9bdf69ab90a.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment