Monday, December 15, 2014

INTRODUCE ME! (1)

“A person’s name is to him or her the sweetest and most important sound in any language.” Dale Carnegie

Ask questions 
When you can't remember someone's name, try to remember where you know them from. You can say, "It's been too long. When was the last time we saw each other?" If you can remember the context, it might help you remember the name.

Request information
Tell the other person, "I'm so glad to see you here. I've been meaning to update my contact information. Would you mind typing yours in for me?" Then hand them your cellphone.

Confess
If everything else fails, be honest and admit you have forgotten the person's name.

Try something like, "I'm sorry. Your name has slipped my mind." Or you could say, "I'm really good at remembering faces, but bad at names. Please forgive me for asking yours again." The other person might suffer from the same problem. And he or she could be relieved to know you've also forgotten.

When you finally hear the person's name, work hard to memorize it. Remembering someone's name lets them know they've made an impression on you.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Whose vs. Who’s  (是Whose還是Who’s?)
那個誰 what's-her-name or what's-his-name
有時候忘記last name也可以說:
You know that guy who teaches English on TV? Steve... what's-his-name? (在問Steve 什麼的? last name)
如果你不知道怎麼說那個東西的字:
I can't find the whatchamacallit that holds the door open.
= what you may call it

Grammar Gym
 I've been meaning to update my contact information.
[Subject] has/have been meaning to [verb].
- I'm sorry. I've been meaning to clean my apartment but I've been so busy with work.
- I've been meaning to calling you. How have you been?

Language Lab
context n.
the situation, events, or information that are related to something and that help you to understand it
- If you look at the context of the event, you will see that the conflict was the fault of both parties.
- Without a context, I would assume the heroine was a mean girl.
heroine n.
/ˈherəwən/
the woman or girl who is the main character in a book, film, play etc

request v.
to ask for something in a polite or formal way:
- Sam requested that the airlines make the arrangements so his family could sit together.
request n.
- As a customer service representative, you should try your best to satisfy your customers' requests.

confess v.
to admit, especially to the police, that you have done something wrong or illegal
- After hours of interrogation, the suspect finally confessed that he had stolen the money.
confess to
- Ricky confessed to sleeping through the whole recital.

slip one's mind
if something slips your mind, you forget it:
- My home phone number suddenly slipped my mind when I wanted to give it to my friend.


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20141210baafeb0ea9fb0539f79971974d86397fd023a686e6ec72ab973fd9513a787818167.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment