Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Should You Join a Gym? (1)

Are gym memberships and personal trainers worth the cost?

Julie is on her way to the gym when she bumps into her friend Kaitlyn.

J: Hi, Kaitlyn! Where are you going?

K: I'm going for a run by the river to train for a marathon. Would you like to come?

J: I can't. I'm going to the gym. I meet my personal trainer three mornings every week. I'm trying to get in shape, but I've been really busy lately.

K: Why would you exercise indoors on a beautiful day like today? You don't have to belong to a gym to stay fit, you know.

J: Maybe you don't, but when I'm tired or busy, I tend not to exercise. So I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. Knowing she's waiting for me helps me stop making excuses. You should join a gym! We could go together.

K: But gyms are so expensive.

J: They're worth it. Gym members have access to all the facilities, including the pool, the weight rooms and the workout rooms. I often alternate between the different cardio machines. And I like trying the different classes the gym offers and meeting people there.


Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Gym Etiquette
monopolize equipment 霸佔器材
weights 鐵片
free weights 亞鈴

Grammar Gym
Gym members have access to all the facilities, including the pool, the weight rooms and the workout rooms.
to have access to [something] 
- Only certain guests have access to the business lounge.
- For obvious security reasons, very few people have access to the queen's personal quarters.
- If you have this key, it means you have access to the company car.
- Only the leaders of the research department have access to the data files.

Language Lab
personal trainer n. 私人教練
- Monica has a full-time personal trainer who goes on tour with her.
- Diane has worked as a personal trainer for years.

marathon n. 馬拉松;
- Luke ran his first marathon when he was 12.
adj. 馬拉松式的
- My husband and I had a marathon discussion about our marriage problems.

facility n. 設施
rooms, equipment, or services that are provided for a particular purpose:
- All the facilities here are only open to our staff.
- The resort has many recreational facilities for all age groups.
- There are no medical facilities in this area.

alternate v. 輪流, 交替
if two things alternate, or if you alternate them, they happen one after the other in a repeated pattern
- Betty and her sister alternate taking care of their father.
- Sabrina's feelings alternated between extreme joy and deep sorrow at the news.


No comments:

Post a Comment