Monday, November 18, 2013

Consumer Conflicts (1)

Is shopping online better than buying things in a store?

Laura and Nellie are hanging out at Nellie's house. Nellie is browsing some online stores from her laptop.

What are you looking for, Nellie?

I'm shopping for a new pair of jeans, Laura. And maybe I'll buy some shoes.

You buy your clothes online?

Aren't you afraid they won't fit? It seems pretty risky to me.

Not really. If they don't fit, I'll just send them back.

That sounds really troublesome. You have to pay the cost of shipping both ways. I would rather try on clothes in the store. Then I'll know right away if they fit or not.

That's true. But the mall is pretty far from here. It takes gas to get there, and that's expensive. If I buy something online, it comes right to my house.

Yes, but you have to wait for it. When I buy something, I want to have it right away! I'd rather drive to the mall and pay for the gas than have to wait a week or longer!

But I feel so excited when my things finally arrive! And a lot of sites offer free shipping. Not to mention, when I go to the store, I end up buying things on impulse. I just buy what I need online.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Toponyms

A toponym is the name of a place. Boston, Spain, and Ontario are all toponyms.

A toponym can also be a word derived from the name of a place.
There's one word in today's dialog that comes from a location's name.
It's the word "jeans."

This English word has its origin in the old French word "John," which is what the French called the Italian city Genoa.
Genoa is where the special cotton jean material was first manufactured in the mid 1500's.

Other places that gave their name to things people wear include tuxedo, formal clothing for men, from Tuxedo Park, New York.
And bikini, that two-piece bathing suit for women, named after the Bikini Islands, which are located in the Pacific ocean.

There are dozens of toponyms. If you remember earlier this year, we talked about Marathon, a Greek town's name that's become the English word for long distance foot races.

The word "china," with a lower case c, is also a toponym.
Originally, "china wear" or "wears made in china," the shortened version of china now refers to fine porcelain bowls, cups, and plates that are made, not just in China, but all over the world.


Grammar Gym
end up = in the end = resulting
- Not to mention, when I go to the store, I end up buying things on impulse.
- Although Kim and her roommate had agreed to divide the house chores, Kim ended up doing all the house chores herself.
- Ellie's original plan was to be in town for three days, but she ended up staying for a week.

Language Lab
consumer n.
a person who buys goods and services
- The new refund policy has attracted criticism from many consumers.
- To stay competitive, companies need to be responsive to consumer demand.
consume v.
to use (fuel, time, resources, etc.)
- This hybrid car consumes less gas than traditional ones.

troublesome adj.
causing problems or worry : causing trouble
- I find balancing my checkbook to be very troublesome.

not to mention 
used when referring to another thing that relates to what you have just said
- Cathy is one of the kindest, not to mention one of the most beautiful girls I know.

impulse n.
/ˈɪmˌpʌls/
a sudden strong desire to do something
- I had a sudden impulse to walk out of the meeting.
on impulse/on an impulse
To do something on (an) impulse or on a sudden impulse is to do it suddenly and without thinking about it first.
- I bought this expensive handbag on an impulse.


mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20131118_f06aa.wmv


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20131118baa52ec6a313b4b401ca111dddeaaa55fcd7b73ade004cbb74fd70182a166ed23be.wma






No comments:

Post a Comment