Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Lesson in Culture(2)

I learned quickly never to assume a New Yorker speaks English and to be respectful of lifestyles that were new to me. New York is home to people of all walks of life, from all corners of the world. My coworkers were Polish, Columbian, Puerto Rican, Greek and Armenian, to name a few. I ran errands to a shop where all the male employees were Orthodox Jews and wore their hair in traditional curls. I spent hours wandering Canal Street in Chinatown - the closest I'd ever been to an Asian country.
By the end of my internship, I was a little older, a little wiser and sick of big city life. I hated the skyscrapers, tourists and the high price I had to pay for a cheeseburger and fries. But I had grown, too. I was quicker, smarter and more independent. I knew I would miss that feeling of having the world right at my doorstep. But it was good preparation for the life of travel I'd soon begin.

Info Cloud
assume v.假定(wild guess)
有亂槍打鳥,把尚具爭論的事實當作論定的基礎。
* I learned quickly never to assume a New Yorker speaks English.
我不應該隨便就假定每個紐約人都會講英文
presume v.假定(educated guess)
依知識、經驗作為根據的假定,較有充分的理由。
* I presume Henry is married because he wears a ring.
我相信Henry結婚了,因為他戴著戒指。

Language Lab
respectful adj.尊敬的、尊重的  
respect v.尊敬
disrespectful不尊重他人的
* You need to be respectful of other people's opinions.
你需要對別人的意見表示尊重
errand n.差事、任務
* The boss just sent her secretary out on an errand.
老闆剛派秘書出去辦一件事
* I have to run some errands for my mother this morning.
 今天早上,我得幫媽媽跑腿辦一些事。
doorstep n.門階
* Jack is waiting for his girlfriend on the doorstep.
Jack在門階那裡等他的女朋友
at one's doorstep指離自己很接近
* When you enter the world of the Internet, it feels like all the info you need is right at your doorstep.
當你進入網際網路世界,好像所有你需要的資料都在你的眼前。
preparation n.準備;預備的工作
* My experience as a server was good preparation for running a restaurant.
我當服務生的經驗,對於經營餐廳是非常好的預備。
* Mom is really busy with preparations for my sister's wedding.
媽媽為了姐姐婚禮的籌備,非常忙碌。

No comments:

Post a Comment