Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Lesson in Culture(1)


I found a foreign land in my home country
I've had many opportunities to experience living in a foreign culture, but my first experience came in an unexpected place - my own country. When I was 20, I got an internship in New York City. It was my first time to live outside of my home state of Texas.
With my move north came culture shock. I grew up in a big city in Texas. But it was no comparison to the tightly packed burroughs of New York with their 8 million residents.
My new home was in Times Square, a hub constantly filled with traffic, noise, people and lights. I was used to life at a relaxed pace, New York moved fast. The saying is true - this city never sleeps. I had to adjust.
My first reaction was fear. Fear I would fail at my new internship in the 54-story office building. Fear of getting lost on the subway. Fear that the locals wouldn't have patience for my frequent moments of confusion.
My anxieties ranged from reasonable to ridiculous. But I faced my fears and kept trying.

Info Cloud
urban adj.都市的
* In some developing countries more and more people are migrating to urban areas.
在某些發展中的國家,越來越多的人向市區遷移。
suburban adj.郊區的 
suburbs n.郊區(複數形態)
因為一個城市周邊有許多不同的區,每個區是一個suburb,整體就是the suburbs.
rural adj.農村的、田園的
rural area指人口較少的小鎮
megacity n.百萬人口以上之巨型城市  

Grammar Gym
* My first reaction was fear.
Fear I would fail at my new internship in the 54-story office building.
Fear of getting lost on the subway.
Fear that the locals wouldn't have patience for my frequent moments of confusion.
* This past month has been really crazy for Jan and she is tired.
Tired of all the work she was to do.
Tired of taking care of the bills at home.
Tired of being yelled at by everybody.   

Language Lab
internship n.實習工作;實習醫生
intern n.實習生;實習醫生
* Joshua got an internship at Microsoft.
Joshua得到一個在微軟的實習工作
* Victor completed his internship at the county hospital.
Victor在縣立醫院完成他的實習工作
culture shock n.文化、衝擊
* When we first moved to the States, we went through quite a culture shock.
當我們剛搬到美國時,經歷了一段不小的文化衝擊。   
constantly adv.不斷地、時常地
constant adj.持續的
* Sherry is constantly checking her cellphone.
Sherry不斷地檢視她的手機
* His constant nagging really annoys me.
他持續不斷的嘮叨,真的讓我很煩。
confusion n.困惑、混亂
* There was a lot of confusion about who was the head of the project.
對於誰是這個計畫的主導者,大家有許多的疑惑。

No comments:

Post a Comment