Thursday, February 21, 2013

Packing in Practice (1)

Sometimes a well-packed bag takes a little practice!
練習打包 有時,要把行李打包好,還是需要一點練習!

I was nearly in tears as I dragged my three pieces of luggage through the deep snow. I was cold, tired and embarrassed. My two classmates had a backpack and one piece of luggage each. I felt judged for bringing more. I was in Freiburg, Germany, hiking along cobblestone streets on my way to the university. This was the last part of a very long journey form the U.S.

After landing first in Zurich, Switzerland, we made our way north to Germany. I carried my things up and down stairs, on and off trains. I squeezed myself onto crowded streetcars and elevators.

We were staying at the University of Freiburg for just a semester. But I suspected that I'd packed enough for a year. I'd barely arrived, and already I was wondering how I'd get my things home. When at last I got to my apartment, I frowned at my luggage. This was not going to happen again.

Info Cloud
packing light 打包輕便
1. save frustration 不煩惱
2. extra mobility 更多行動力
3. flexibility 更多彈性
4. save money 省錢 (因有些航空公司要收行李費)

Language Lab
luggage n. [noncount] 行李
a piece of luggage 一件行李
* Each passenger is allowed to carry one 25 kilo piece of luggage.
每位乘客可以攜帶25公斤以下的行李
suitcase n.[count]行李箱

backpack n. 背包
* The boy's backpack is full of treats and game cards.
這個男孩的背包裡都是小點心跟遊戲卡
backpack v. 背著背包, 徒步旅行
* We backpacked around Italy.
我們在義大利背著背包徒步旅行
backpacker 背包客

squeeze v.
to press together the parts and especially the opposite sides of (something) [+ obj]

cobblestone n.
[count] : a round stone that is used in paving streets

suspect v. 懷疑, 推測 (這個字重音在第二音節)
* We suspected that Larry was stealing long before we caught him.
我們懷疑Larry被我們抓到之前, 老早就在偷東西了
n.  嫌疑犯 (當名詞時重音在第一音節)
* Photos of the suspect were posted everywhere.
這名嫌犯的照片到處都有張貼

frown v. 擔心, 憤怒不悅而皺眉
* Reading her son's report card, Rita shook her head and frowned.
看著兒子的成績單, Rita皺著眉, 而且一邊搖頭
frown...at 對著哪個對像皺眉
* Ellen frowned at her messy kitchen.
Ellen 皺著眉, 看著她亂七八糟的廚房
Turn your frown upside down! => smile
* Come on cheer up. Turn your frown upside down and let's have fun.


pic: http://wwwwh.thecomicseries.com/comics/55/



mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130222_71dc7.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment