Friday, February 22, 2013

Packing in Practice (2)

Confession time: I pack a lot of stuff when I travel. My goal is to take the minimum, but that rarely works out. Something in my mind cries, "Jo! You will need more jeans and shirts! Bring all the DVDs and books you own in case you get bored! Pack some knitting needles because you like to knit sometimes! Better pack a chess set so you can play with the new friends you make!" The packing goes downhill from there.

They say practice makes perfect, and I've had a lot of practice since Germany. That trip - my first abroad - was difficult but valuable lesson. When I'm packing for a trip now, I remember how I felt then. I assume all my bags will be my responsibility. I want to take something, am I willing to carry it everywhere? Usually the extras aren't worth the effort. There's nothing like stairs and crowded spaces to set your packing priorities straight!

Grammar Gym
better- "you had better"
* Better bring an umbrella because it might rain!
* Better have some extra cash in case you want to buy something at a convenience store.

Info Cloud
carry it everywhere 帶著它到處跑
over-packed 帶著太多東西

Language Lab
confession n. 自白, 認罪
* The novel is actually the author's confession.
這本小說其實就是作者的自白
* The suspect signed his confession.
這名嫌犯在自白書上簽名
confess v.
I confess I lose my temper very often.
我承認我常常會生氣

minimum n. 最小, 最少, 最低限度, 最低值
min字根有小的意思
* A trip to the nearest hospital will take a minimum of one hour.
去最近的醫院最少要一個小時
minimum adj. 最小的, 最低限度的
* He doesn't even reach the minimum height requirement of entering the police academy.
他連要進入警校要求的最低身高要求都達不到

responsibility n. 責任, 職責
* It's the responsibility of the person who leaves last to lock all the doors and windows.
最後要離開的人, 有責任要鎖上所有的門窗
* The kitchen is your responsibility this week.
本週廚房是你的責任區

priority n.最重要的事, 優先事項
* My priority in life is to take care of my kids.
我人生的最優先事項, 就是先照顧我的孩子
* If you set your priorities in order, you won't waste time.
如果先把你的優先順序排好, 你就不會浪費時間了




mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130223_23295.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment