Friday, February 15, 2013

Free Lunch? (1)

Does buying one drink earn you a day of free Wi-Fi and air conditioning?

天底下真有白吃的午餐?
買杯飲料就能享用整天免費Wi-Fi無線上網和吹冷氣?

It is lunchtime, and Blaine is looking for a seat in a fast food restaurant.
Suddenly, he sees his classmate Matt.

Hey, Matt! What are you doing here?

Oh, hi Blaine. I'm just doing some work and writing my blog.

Do you mind if I join you?
There aren't any other tables available.

Sure. Be careful you don't get hooked on my charger cable though.

Thanks. So do you study here often?

Yeah, I'm here most days.
It's a great way to save money on air conditioning and the restaurant has free Wi-Fi.

Aren't you eating anything?

I had a drink earlier this morning. I'll probably eat something later.

No offense, but it's pretty busy in here. Don't you feel guilty about taking up space for nothing?

Not really. It's not like I NEVER buy anything here. I am a loyal customer, and I eat here all the time.

Yeah, but you're not a customer now. You are occupying space that paying customers need.

Anyone is welcome to come and share my table. You did.
And besides, this is a fast food restaurant. Seating is first come, first served and people who don't get seats do have other choices. They can get their food to go.


Info Cloud

first come, first served 先搶先贏
* The early bird gets the worm. 早起的鳥兒有蟲吃 (American)
* You snooze, you lose.  (American:典故來自龜兔賽跑; snooze 睡個小覺)
* The morning time has gold in its mouth. 早晨的嘴裡有黃金(German)
* He who sleeps doesn't catch any fish. 睡覺的人捕不到魚(Italian)
* First to the mill gets to grind first. 先抵達磨坊的人可以先使用石磨(Swede)
* The quick a foot, the first ascend. 捷足先登(Chinese)
這先革言都是在提醒我們要積極不要懶惰

Language Lab

hook v. 勾住, 纏住
* The worker hooked the ladder over the edge of the roof.
這個工人把梯子固定在屋子的邊緣上
* Pamela hooked her arm around her husband's
Pamela 把她的手臂勾住她先生的手臂
hook n. 勾子, 釣勾
* Britney hung her coat on the hook.
Britney 把大衣吊在掛勾上

charger cable n. 充電器, 充電線
charger 充電器; a battery charger 電池充電器
cable 電線
* The charger cable is compatible with several brands of cell phones.
這個充電器可以用在幾個不同廠牌的手機上

no offense 沒有冒犯你的意思, 我無意冒犯
offense 冒犯, 得罪
* "Uh, no offense. I'm sorry that I was late this morning, but you're not my boss."
我無意冒犯你, 我很抱歉我今天早上遲到了, 但你不是我的上司

occupy v. 佔據, 佔用
* The project occupies most of Charlie's time. He doesn't even have time to sleep.
這個案子佔據了查理大部份的時間, 他連睡覺都沒有

* All the restrooms are occupied now. You have to wait in line.
 所有的厠所都有人, 你得排隊等候





Link:
mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130215_feaf9.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment