Saturday, September 7, 2013

Life in Nepal: Part 1 (2)

The director of the nonprofit in Nepal was named Colleen. By phone and email she interviewed me and helped prepare me for the experience of an 11-week stay in Nepal. She warned me that it would be difficult and that I'd have moments of pure frustration. She advised me that being flexible would be the key. Nepal is a developing country in South Asia - little to nothing there is similar to life in the U.S. Things are unorganized I couldn't let it bother me.

My professor gave me advice, too. She had never been to Nepal but had experience living in Southeast Asia. Take lots of stomach medicine and some antibiotics. Get vaccines before you go. Watch out for mosquitoes and dirty water. But I think the most valuable advice she gave me was this - take a jar of peanut butter. It's a familiar taste when the homesickness gets bad.

With their words in mind, I packed my backpack, took a deep breath and boarded the plane to Nepal.


Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Bring and Take

The words "bring" and "take" have almost identical meanings, but they are different. Which word you use will depend on your point of reference.

Right! If I'm the point of reference, I might say, please bring me a cup of coffee. Using bring shows movement towards the speaker.

Take, in contrast, shows movement away from the speaker's position. That's why I cannot say, "please take me a cup of coffee". However, I could say, please take this coffee to the boss.

Put another way - you bring things here, you take things there.

Ok. Now, this can get tricky when the movement has nothing to do with you. For example, does the waitress bring or take coffee to a customer?

Again, who's the point of reference? If it's the waitress, it's take. If it's the customer, then it's bring.

Good, now, one more thing to consider. The speaker isn't always the point of reference. For example, I might ask the host of an upcoming party, "what can I bring to the party"? Here, I'm using bring, instead of take, because I've made the host the point of reference as a way of being polite.


Language Lab
flexible adj.
capable of bending or being bent
flex v.
to bend (a body part)
- The company's flexible working hours attract many college graduates.
- Our prices are very flexible.
flexibility n.
capable of bending or being bent
- Online learning offers great flexibility for people with busy schedules.

unorganized adj.
not arranged in an orderly way
un-  prefix: not
- The unorganized protests turned into terrible riots.
riot n. 爆動
/ˈrajət/
a situation in which a large group of people behave in a violent and uncontrolled way
organized adj.
arranged into a formal group with leaders and with rules for doing or planning things
- Patricia is an organized and highly efficient secretary.

antibiotic n.
a drug that is used to kill harmful bacteria and to cure infections
anti- prefix
opposite to something;
against someone or something
bio- 
relating to life or living things
- After finishing a full course of antibiotics, the patient was released from the hospital.
- Billy is on antibiotics for pneumonia. 肺炎

homesickness n.
sad because you are away from your family and home
- Teresa was overcome by homesickness and decided to cut her journey short.
homesick adj.
- Melissa got homesick when she became ill on her trip.



http://203.69.69.81/studio/20130906baaf98b7a07728186d97ca4fecbeeef42813dd7d15ad79d575f3535d50247d51473.wma

mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20130906_0f48d.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment