Friday, September 6, 2013

Life in Nepal: Part 1 (1)

I jumped at the opportunity to visit this interesting country

The first time I remember hearing about Nepal was in 2007. I was browsing through odd Internet news. One of Nepal Airlines' jets was having technical problems. So the airline sacrificed two goats in front of the jet to satisfy the Hindu god of sky protection. I admit I thought that was strange. But the news also made me curious. What was life like in this foreign country? What was the country like? What were the people like? I never completely forgot that incident or my desire to learn more about the place.

A few years later I was in my second year of graduate school. I needed an internship overseas to graduate. I wasn't having much luck finding a good position even though any country but the U.S. would do. My professor mentioned a possibility she knew about. She had a friend who was a director at a nonprofit organization in Nepal. Nepal! That place where they sacrifice goats at the airport! I remembered. I couldn't miss this chance, I had to go.

Grammar Gym
"I wasn't having much luck finding a good position even though any country but the U.S. would do."(something) would do - something is good enough or sufficient.
- May I have a cup please? Any cup would do, thank you.
- You need sugar to make this kind of candy - but not just any kind of sugar would do; you must use brown sugar.

Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: Demonyms


demonym - 一个国家居民的名称。Angelenos - 居住在洛杉矶的居民的名称。Floridians -居住在弗罗里达州的居民的名称Italians - 意大利人Asians - 亚洲人。Earthlings - 地球人。French (n), (adj) - 法国人,法国的。Chinese (n) (adj) - 中国人,中国的Nepal (n) 尼泊尔, Nepali (adj)- 尼泊尔的 , Nepalese (n) -尼泊尔人。Mexico - 墨西哥的 (move last letter 'o' add 'an' ) to be Mexican - 墨西哥人.


Language Lab
browse v.
to look at many things in a store, in a newspaper, etc., to see if there is something interesting or worth buying [no obj] ▪ Several customers were browsing in the bookstore. — often + through
- Samuel browsed through all his textbooks before the semester started.
- I'm not looking for any particular items; I'm just browsing. 隨意看看

sacrifice v.
to kill (a person or animal) in a religious ceremony as an offering to please a god
- The elder of the tribe sacrificed a goat to worship their god.
o give up (something that you want to keep) especially in order to get or do something else or to help someone [+ obj]
- Louise sacrificed her career to take care of her family.
sacrifice n.
the act of giving up something that you want to keep especially in order to get or do something else or to help someone [count]
- Many parents are willing to make sacrifices for their kids.

professor n. [pro-大眾, 公開/ fess-說話]
a teacher especially of the highest rank at a college or university
profess v.
to say or declare (something) openly
- Alex is now an assistant professor at Harvard University.
profession n.
a type of job that requires special education, training, or skill
-He's a lawyer by profession.

nonprofit adj.
not existing or done for the purpose of making a profit
non- prefix: not
- This nonprofit agency is famous for helping AIDS babies.
- This nonprofit program helps homeless kids stay in school.
for-profit adj.
existing or done for the purpose of making a profit


mms://203.69.69.81/studio/20130905baa5ecf5c9b39345d9e653a8203c89bb8118e0cff547aaefaa8d94d118aaa81bad3.wma

No comments:

Post a Comment