Saturday, October 19, 2013

draft-----Life in Nepal: Part 2 (2)

Thankfully, the bus made it to Dolakha safely. Our accommodations consisted of a humble farmhouse that was a combination of cement, wood, tin and packed mud. The nonprofit's office occupied the first floor, the kitchen and our bedrooms the second floor. A family of five lived in a loft above. Both the second and third floors were accessible only by wooden ladders.

As an intern, my job was to take photos, conduct interviews and write articles. I would then sent them to the nonprofit's headquarters in New York to be used on their website. But I have a difficult time conveying my experience there. What words could I use to describe something so foreign to me? Village life was slow, simple and mostly disconnected from the rest of the world.

But I have a difficult time conveying my experience there. What words could I use to describe something so foreign to me? Village life was slow, simple and mostly disconnected from the rest of the world.

There were a few electric lights, but no indoor plumbing, no Internet, and cellphone reception was poor. The locals were curious about the foreign girl and stared openly, but they were also friendly.

I was living a world away from everything I was used to. But out on those terraced hillsides, soaking in the sun and sipping tea with my Nepali neighbors, I didn't really mind.


Info Cloud
Teaching Topic: My Humble Abode
Teaching Topic: My Humble Abode




Language Lab
accommodations n.
/əˌkɑ:məˈdeɪʃən/
a place (such as a room in a hotel) where travelers can sleep and find other services
- Such accommodations usually cost over $500 per night.
- Accommodations were included in the package.

conduct v. [duct-字根-引起]
/kənˈdʌkt/
to plan and do (something, such as an activity)
- The experiments were conducted by professionals.
conduct n.
/ˈkɑ:nˌdʌkt/
the way that a person behaves in a particular place or situation
- His conduct led people to believe he's a cruel person.
他的行為引導人們認為他是個冷酷的人

plumbing n.(水管的)配管
a system of pipes that carries water through a building
- The building's plumbing system needs to be replaced.
這棟建築的水管配管需要更換
- Dad did the plumbing of our house himself.
我們房子的水管工程是爸爸自己做的
plumber n.水電工人
a person whose job is to install or repair sinks, toilets, water pipes, etc.
- The plumber fixed our faucet in five minutes.
水管工人五分鐘內就修好我們的水龍頭

terrace v.把山丘修成梯田
a flat area created on the side of a hill and used especially for growing crops
- The farmers terraced the hillside and planted rice.
農人們把山丘修成梯田後種植稻子
n.露台、台階
a flat outdoor area next to a building or on a roof, where you can sit outside to eat, relax etc
- Each hotel room has a terrace.
旅館的每間房間都有露台


mms://webvod.goodtv.tv/SC/20131019_c4e8e.wmv

No comments:

Post a Comment